Happy Friday, May 19th, 6-1 Families!
Please see the information below for IMPortant ECMS announcements, team announcements, and CORE updates:
- Please continue to check PowerSchools frequently and encourage your student to be checking PowerSchools and/or the missing work lists outside the teachers’ classrooms a couple of times a week. As they move towards being 7th graders, they really need to be taking on that responsibility as well. Remember, in PowerSchools, missing assignments are indicated by the grade of a “0” and an orange square next to the assignment. If you see a –/100, that means the assignment is still in the process of being graded. Last day to turn in missing 4th quarter work is Friday, May 26th.
- EOG Proctors – ECMS is in desperate need of parent/family volunteers to assist in the EOG testing. Please see this flyer for more information. EOG Flyer 1
- EOG Testing Schedule – The following is the schedule for the EOGs and NC Final Exams for the 6-1 team.
- Wednesday, May 24th – Math EOG
- Thursday, May 25th – Reading EOG
- Friday, May 26th – Science NC Final Exam
- Monday, May 29th – Holiday, No School
- Tuesday, May 30th – Social Studies NC Final Exam
- Ways to prepare for the EOG:
- Good night’s sleep the night before
- A filling breakfast the morning of; we typically eat lunch later on EOG days
- Students may bring highlighters and #2 pencils to use
- Students may bring a book (not on a device) to read silently after they finish their EOGs during the remaining testing time.
- It’s really important that students are ON TIME on testing days! If students arrive too late, they will be asked to remain in the Media Center during the testing session and will have to test on a make-up day.
- Last Day of School Activity – We would like to have a silent auction for the students on the last day of school, June 7th. This is an opportunity for students to use the remaining PBIS tickets they’ve earned throughout the year to bid on items. We hope to have a variety of items to bid on. These items could be old or unused items as well. In the past we’ve had items donated like games, outdoor games/activities for the summer, books, inexpensive speakers, art supplies, etc. If you are interested in donating, please contact Ms. Haynie. We would like all donated items to be in by Friday, June 2nd to prepare for the auction on the following Wednesday.
Flyer: Give Away for End of Year
Guidelines: 6-1 Give Away Guidelines
- ECMS is participating in the Cary/Apex/Morrisville Relay for Life on May 20th to 21st. Students and families may participate by joining our team as a walker, donating to our team, participating in Relay for Life Spirit Week (more information to come), or order a Relay for Life t-shirt through the ECMS PTA (form attached). Haynie will be representing 6-1 as a walker on that day so are welcome to donate to her page or the ECMS Team page.
ECMS Team Site: ECMS Relay for Life Page
Ms. Haynie’s Site: Ms. Haynie’s Relay for Life Page
- Mark your calendars now for our End of the Year Celebration on the last day of school, Wednesday, June 7th beginning at 11:30am in the ECMS Auditorium. We will send home more information and invitations on Friday, June 2nd.
- If your student will not be attending a WCPSS school next year, please e-mail our Data Manager, Shanthi Chundi (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following information:
Student’s PowerSchool ID
Student’s Complete Name
Parent’s Complete Name
Where will the student attend for 2017-18
Once again, this is only if you already know that your student will NOT be attending a WCPSS next year.
9. Lastly, we encourage both students and parents to review our teacher websites for lessons, homework, and resources. We update our websites daily and weekly.
Math 6/6+ (Mr. Hayes) – May 22nd – 23rd: We will continue review of released End Of Grade testing material, in preparation for the Mat EOG on May 24th, 2017 test. Please have your child review both corrected sections (non-calculator active and calculator active) review sections.
Science (Ms. Haynie) – Students were given back their Science Folders from this year in order to review for the upcoming NCFE for Science. They have a variety of materials to review with including links to vocabulary and content review on their Science Google Classroom.
ELA (Mrs. Gilliland) – Next week, we will visit the media center so that students can check out books to read when they are finished with EOGs. They may also bring novels from home to read on testing days. Students have worked hard preparing for the Reading EOG; please remind your child to annotate and highlight text evidence when they take the test on Thursday.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback.
Have a great weekend!
Lauren Haynie (LHAYNIE@wcpss.net)
Chad Miller (CMILLER@wcpss.net)
Mike Hayes (MHAYES@wcpss.net)
Margaret Gilliland (MGILLILAND@wcpss.net)