Happy Friday, May 12th, 6-1 Families!
We’ve had another great week! Please see the information below for IMPortant ECMS announcements, team announcements, and CORE updates:
- At the end of the 5th week of the 4th quarter, we are finding that we have A LOT of missing work. Please continue to check PowerSchools frequently and encourage your student to be checking PowerSchools and/or the missing work lists outside the teachers’ classrooms a couple of times a week. As they move towards being 7th graders, they really need to be taking on that responsibility as well. Remember, in PowerSchools, missing assignments are indicated by the grade of a “0” and an orange square next to the assignment. If you see a –/100, that means the assignment is still in the process of being graded. Last day to turn in missing 4th quarter work is Friday, May 26th.
- Relay for Life Spirit Week – ECMS will be showing their support for the Relay for Life team next week by participating in spirit days and activities. The following are the Spirit Days in which students can earn points for their homeroom during the Spirit Week:
Monday – “Kick Cancer Day” – Athlete Day
Tuesday – “Outwit Cancer Day” – Nerd Day
Wednesday – “Cancer is Wack” – Wacky Tacky Day
Thursday – “Fight Cancer” – Superhero Day
Friday – “Hope for a Cure Day” – Wear Purple or Relay for Life T-shirts
**Students need to remember to dress up within the school dress code.
You can also still join or donate to the ECMS Relay Team by using the links below in Item #6. We are hoping to reach our school goal of raising $3000 for the American Cancer Society.
- EOG Proctors – ECMS is in desperate need of parent/family volunteers to assist in the EOG testing. Please see this flyer for more information. EOG Flyer 1
- EOG Testing Schedule – The following is the schedule for the EOGs and NC Final Exams for the 6-1 team.
- Wednesday, May 24th – Math EOG
- Thursday, May 25th – Reading EOG
- Friday, May 26th – Science NC Final Exam
- Monday, May 29th – Holiday, No School
- Tuesday, May 30th – Social Studies NC Final Exam
- Last Day of School Activity – We would like to have a silent auction for the students on the last day of school, June 7th. This is an opportunity for students to use the remaining PBIS tickets they’ve earned throughout the year to bid on items. We hope to have a variety of items to bid on. These items could be old or unused items as well. In the past we’ve had items donated like games, outdoor games/activities for the summer, books, inexpensive speakers, art supplies, etc. If you are interested in donating, please contact Ms. Haynie. We would like all donated items to be in by Friday, June 2nd to prepare for the auction on the following Wednesday.
- If your student has a fidget spinner, we kindly ask that those remain at home. They are becoming a huge class disruption. We understand the intended purpose and we do not feel that we see the benefit from the students who are bringing them to school.
If you feel that your child needs a spinner to maintain focus, please send us an email or a note with your child. This way we can be mindful of those who need fidget tools to focus and those who are using them for other means. We do not mind the use of these fidget tools for their intended purposes, and are more than happy to accommodate those who need these tools to focus.
- ECMS is participating in the Cary/Apex/Morrisville Relay for Life on May 20th to 21st. Students and families may participate by joining our team as a walker, donating to our team, participating in Relay for Life Spirit Week (more information to come), or order a Relay for Life t-shirt through the ECMS PTA (form attached). Haynie will be representing 6-1 as a walker on that day so are welcome to donate to her page or the ECMS Team page.
ECMS Team Site: ECMS Relay for Life Page
Ms. Haynie’s Site: Ms. Haynie’s Relay for Life Page
- Mark your calendars now for our End of the Year Celebration on the last day of school, Wednesday, June 7th beginning at 11:30am in the ECMS Auditorium. We will send home more information and invitations on Friday, June 2nd.
- Please review BYOD expectations with your student. Students who violate the BYOD contract, signed by both parent and student at the beginning of the year, will be referred for a technology violation. Also, the contract clearly states that devices should NOT be used for personal e-mail and communication during class time. If you need to contact your student, please call the front office at (919) 466-4377 and we will relay your message to your student. A copy of the BYOD contract can be found here: BYODpolicy-contract 2015
- As we move into warmer weather, we just want to remind everyone of the WCPSS School Dress Code. Teachers do have to monitor the dress code and we will ask student to change or call home if attire is not within those guidelines. Please see the policy here: http://www.wcpss.net/domain/50
- Students received information in Science class at the end of the 3rd quarter about ordering a FREE energy-efficient kit for your home from Duke Energy. Please ask your student for this flyer. All of the information about the program is on the flyer. The energy kit is free, no strings attached. We can also earn money for our school and you can have the chance to win $1,000. East Cary has now earned $750 for having 312 families sign up so far. We are looking to reach the next milestone of getting 400 families signed up for more money for our school. The easiest way is to sign up at https://myenergykit.org/
- If your student will not be attending a WCPSS school next year, please e-mail our Data Manager, Shanthi Chundi (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following information:
Student’s PowerSchool ID
Student’s Complete Name
Parent’s Complete Name
Where will the student attend for 2017-18
Once again, this is only if you already know that your student will NOT be attending a WCPSS next year.
- Lastly, we encourage both students and parents to review our teacher websites for lessons, homework, and resources. We update our websites daily and weekly.
Math 6/6+ (Mr. Hayes) – Math review for EOG testing will continue this week. Practice Packet were passed out Friday and will be going home for assigned tasks on Monday. Each student will receive ONE copy only of this review material so please monitor and check on its security.
Science (Ms. Haynie) – Students will receive their Science Folders back. They are to use these to review all the materials and content we’ve learned this year as we prepare for the NC Final Exam in Science. We will also be using this time to take a practice tests and complete other review activities.
Social Studies (Mr. Miller) – The unit test for the Middle Ages has been cancelled. On May 16th, there will be a practice final exam for social studies and Friday, May 19th will be the day the project is due by 7:30am.
ELA (Mrs. Gilliland) – Next week, we will continue to review reading standards and practice test-taking strategies in preparation for the Reading EOG.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback.
Have a great weekend!
Lauren Haynie (LHAYNIE@wcpss.net)
Chad Miller (CMILLER@wcpss.net)
Mike Hayes (MHAYES@wcpss.net)
Margaret Gilliland (MGILLILAND@wcpss.net)