Happy Friday, April 28th, 6-1 Families!
We’re halfway there! Please see the information below for IMPortant ECMS announcements, team announcements, and CORE updates:
- 4th Quarter Interims were handed out in Homerooms today. Please review these with your student, discuss low grades and/or missing assignments and make a plan for how to improve those for the rest of the quarter. Please sign and return with your student to their homeroom teacher by Tuesday, May 2nd. Last day to turn in missing 4th quarter work is Friday, May 26th.
- At the end of the 5th week of the 4th quarter, we are finding that we have A LOT of missing work. Please continue to check PowerSchools frequently and encourage your student to be checking PowerSchools and/or the missing work lists outside the teachers’ classrooms a couple of times a week. As they move towards being 7th graders, they really need to be taking on that responsibility as well. Remember, in PowerSchools, missing assignments are indicated by the grade of a “0” and an orange square next to the assignment. If you see a –/100, that means the assignment is still in the process of being graded.
- If your student has a fidget spinner, we kindly ask that those remain at home. They are becoming a huge class disruption. We understand the intended purpose and we do not feel that we see the benefit from the students who are bringing them to school. If you feel that your child needs a spinner to maintain focus, please send us an email or a note with your child. This way we can be mindful of those who need fidget tools to focus and those who are using them for other means. We do not mind the use of these fidget tools for their intended purposes, and are more than happy to accommodate those who need these tools to focus.
- ECMS is participating in the Cary/Apex/Morrisville Relay for Life on May 20th to 21st. Students and families may participate by joining our team as a walker, donating to our team or participating in Relay for Life Spirit Week (more information to come). Ms. Haynie will be representing 6-1 as a walker on that day so are welcome to donate to her page or the ECMS Team page.
ECMS Team Site: ECMS Relay for Life Page
Ms. Haynie’s Site: Ms. Haynie’s Relay for Life Page
- Mark your calendars now for our End of the Year Celebration on the last day of school, Wednesday, June 7th beginning at 11:30am in the ECMS Auditorium. We will send home more information and invitations on Friday, June 2nd.
- Please review BYOD expectations with your student. Students who violate the BYOD contract, signed by both parent and student at the beginning of the year, will be referred for a technology violation. Also, the contract clearly states that devices should NOT be used for personal e-mail and communication during class time. If you need to contact your student, please call the front office at (919) 466-4377 and we will relay your message to your student. A copy of the BYOD contract can be found here: BYODpolicy-contract 2015
- As we move into warmer weather, we just want to remind everyone of the WCPSS School Dress Code. Teachers do have to monitor the dress code and we will ask student to change or call home if attire is not within those guidelines. Please see the policy here: http://www.wcpss.net/domain/50
- Students received information in Science class at the end of the 3rd quarter about ordering a FREE energy-efficient kit for your home from Duke Energy. Please ask your student for this flyer. All of the information about the program is on the flyer. The energy kit is free, no strings attached. We can also earn money for our school and you can have the chance to win $1,000. East Cary has now earned $750 for having 308 families sign up so far. We are looking to reach the next milestone of getting 400 families signed up for more money for our school. The easiest way is to sign up at https://myenergykit.org/
- If your student will not be attending a WCPSS school next year, please e-mail our Data Manager, Shanthi Chundi (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following information:
Student’s PowerSchool ID
Student’s Complete Name
Parent’s Complete Name
Where will the student attend for 2017-18
Once again, this is only if you already know that your student will NOT be attending a WCPSS next year.
- Lastly, we encourage both students and parents to review our teacher websites for lessons, homework, and resources. We update our websites daily and weekly.
Math 6/6+ (Mr. Hayes) – Students will cover the following topics: Displaying Data Review, Statistical Display, Study Guide will be given with a May 4th Unit 13 Test target date. EOG review will begin after completion of Unit 13. Please continue to monitor your child’s effort and send any questions to me.
Science (Ms. Haynie) – Next week, we will begin our mini-unit on Space Exploration. We will be exploring the evolution of the space program, technology, and the benefits/spin-off technology we have because of space exploration. We will also tie in the argumentative piece students have been learning about in ELA to a space controversy – the moon landing.
Social Studies (Mr. Miller) – We will be beginning our unit on Middle Ages/Renaissance/Reformation on Monday. The major grade for this unit will be a brief assessment on May 18th. Just a reminder the Civilization Bingo Project will be due on May 19th. Students are working on this every Wednesday, but will need some time to finish at home. All projects are due here by 7:30am on May 19th.
ELA (Mrs. Gilliland) – Students have been working hard on argument writing this week. Next week, they will finish drafting, revise and edit, and send final copies to their audiences. Many students have selected family members as their audience, so you may find yourself a lucky recipient of an argumentative text!
As always, please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback.
Have a great weekend!
Lauren Haynie (LHAYNIE@wcpss.net)
Chad Miller (CMILLER@wcpss.net)
Mike Hayes (MHAYES@wcpss.net)
Margaret Gilliland (MGILLILAND@wcpss.net)