Happy Friday, April 21st, 6-1 Families!
We are nearing the mid-point of the 4th quarter already. Our team will be sending home 4th Quarter interims at the end of next week on Friday, April 24th. Please see the information below for IMPortant ECMS announcements, team announcements, and CORE updates:
- At the end of the 4th week of the 4th quarter, we are finding that we have A LOT of missing work. Please continue to check PowerSchools frequently and encourage your student to be checking PowerSchools and/or the missing work lists outside the teachers’ classrooms a couple of times a week. As they move towards being 7th graders, they really need to be taking on that responsibility as well. Remember, in PowerSchools, missing assignments are indicated by the grade of a “0” and an orange square next to the assignment. If you see a –/100, that means the assignment is still in the process of being graded.
- ECMS is participating in the Cary/Apex/Morrisville Relay for Life on May 20th to 21st. Students and families may participate by joining our team as a walker, donating to our team, participating in Relay for Life Spirit Week (more information to come), or order a Relay for Life t-shirt through the ECMS PTA (form attached). Haynie will be representing 6-1 as a walker on that day so are welcome to donate to her page or the ECMS Team page.
ECMS Team Site: ECMS Relay for Life Page
Ms. Haynie’s Site: Ms. Haynie’s Relay for Life Page
T-Shirt Order Form: ECMS Relay for Life Tshirt Order Form 2017 (4)
**The last day to order a shirt is Monday, April 24th.
- Next week is our STEM week at ECMS. We will be doing various activities to promote our STEM theme of environmental education. Please encourage your student to wear GREEN on Tuesday and YELLOW on Friday.
- Next Friday, April 28th will be our last STEM elective day of this school year. Students should bring any necessary materials they may need for their particular elective.
- Mark your calendars now for our End of the Year Celebration on the last day of school, Wednesday, June 7th beginning at 11:30am in the ECMS Auditorium. We will send home more information and invitations on Friday, June 2nd.
- Please review BYOD expectations with your student. Students who violate the BYOD contract, signed by both parent and student at the beginning of the year, will be referred for a technology violation. Also, the contract clearly states that devices should NOT be used for personal e-mail and communication during class time. If you need to contact your student, please call the front office at (919) 466-4377 and we will relay your message to your student. A copy of the BYOD contract can be found here: BYODpolicy-contract 2015
- As we move into warmer weather, we just want to remind everyone of the WCPSS School Dress Code. Teachers do have to monitor the dress code and we will ask student to change or call home if attire is not within those guidelines. Please see the policy here: http://www.wcpss.net/domain/50
- Students received information in Science class at the end of the 3rd quarter about ordering a FREE energy-efficient kit for your home from Duke Energy. Please ask your student for this flyer. All of the information about the program is on the flyer. The energy kit is free, no strings attached. We can also earn money for our school and you can have the chance to win $1,000. East Cary has now earned $750 for having 302 families sign up so far. We are looking to reach the next milestone of getting 400 families signed up for more money for our school. The easiest way is to sign up at https://myenergykit.org/
- If your student will not be attending a WCPSS school next year, please e-mail our Data Manager, Shanthi Chundi (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following information:
Student’s PowerSchool ID
Student’s Complete Name
Parent’s Complete Name
Where will the student attend for 2017-18
Once again, this is only if you already know that your student will NOT be attending a WCPSS next year.
- Lastly, we encourage both students and parents to review our teacher websites for lessons, homework, and resources. We update our websites daily and weekly.
Math 6/6+ (Mr. Hayes) – A quiz on (Mean, Median, Mode, with and without Outlier); 5 Number Summary; and Mean Absolute Deviation Skills will be scheduled for Tuesday, April 25th. The remainder of the Unit will focus on Frequency Tables, Histograms, Dot Line Plots and Summary Statistics material that can be found on my website. Testing schedule will be assigned after lessons are completed. Please have students review the modules from the website.
Science (Ms. Haynie) – Planetary PBL proposal presentations will begin on Monday. Students should have their research packet ready to turn in and their proposals and models either physically turned in or shared with me via Google or e-mail. Any piece of the project not shared or turned in on Monday will be considered late.
After presentations have concluded, we will move into learning about other parts of the universe and space exploration.
In case anyone is interested, there is a “State of the Sciences 2017” at NC State’s Hunt Library on Saturday, April 22nd from 6pm-9pm. It is a free, family-friendly event. See more information: State of Sciences 2017
Social Studies (Mr. Miller) – We will have a test on the decline of civilizations on Tuesday, April 25th. It will be an essay where students can use their notes. Just a heads up, students have a major project due on May 19th.
ELA (Mrs. Gilliland) – We will spend next week planning, writing, and revising argumentative texts. Final drafts of students’ arguments will be due on Friday, April 28th.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback.
Have a great weekend!
Lauren Haynie (LHAYNIE@wcpss.net)
Chad Miller (CMILLER@wcpss.net)
Mike Hayes (MHAYES@wcpss.net)
Margaret Gilliland (MGILLILAND@wcpss.net)