Happy Friday, April 7th, 6-1 Families!
Another week is in the books! Please see the information below for IMPortant ECMS announcements, team announcements, and CORE updates:
- Students were given information about class recommendations and electives for next year in Social Studies on Thursday. Please review this information with your student, make a plan, and have your student bring back the information for registration on Monday, April 10th. Students will be completing class registration during their Social Studies class with our guidance counselor, Mrs. Margaret Ray-Nobles. If you have any questions about classes before then, please e-mail her at email@example.com
- Next Friday, April 14th is a holiday for WCPSS. There will be NO school on this day.
- At the end of the 2nd week of the 4th quarter, we are finding that we have A LOT of missing work already. Please continue to check PowerSchools frequently and encourage your student to be checking PowerSchools and/or the missing work lists outside the teachers’ classrooms a couple of times a week. As they move towards being 7th graders, they really need to be taking on that responsibility as well. Remember, in PowerSchools, missing assignments are indicated by the grade of a “0” and an orange square next to the assignment. If you see a –/100, that means the assignment is still in the process of being graded.
- ECMS is participating in the Cary/Apex/Morrisville Relay for Life on May 20th to 21st. Students and families may participate by joining our team as a walker, donating to our team, participating in Relay for Life Spirit Week (more information to come), or order a Relay for Life t-shirt through the ECMS PTA (form attached). Haynie will be representing 6-1 as a walker on that day so are welcome to donate to her page or the ECMS Team page.
ECMS Team Site: ECMS Relay for Life Page
Ms. Haynie’s Site: Ms. Haynie’s Relay for Life Page
T-Shirt Order Form: ECMS Relay for Life Tshirt Order Form 2017 (4)
- ECMS will be having their annual STEM Career Day on Friday, April 21st. We are in need of professionals in STEM fields to volunteer to present. If you or anyone you know would be interested in presenting, please contact Mrs. Shandua Ellis (firstname.lastname@example.org). See the attachment below for more information.
- Mark your calendars now for our End of the Year Celebration on the last day of school, Wednesday, June 7th beginning at 11:30am in the ECMS Auditorium. We will send home more information and invitations on Friday, June 2nd.
- Please review BYOD expectations with your student. Students who violate the BYOD contract, signed by both parent and student at the beginning of the year, will be referred for a technology violation. Also, the contract clearly states that devices should be used for personal e-mail and communication during class time. If you need to contact your student, please call the front office at (919) 466-4377 and we will relay your message to your student. A copy of the BYOD contract can be found here: BYODpolicy-contract 2015
- As we move into warmer weather, we just want to remind everyone of the WCPSS School Dress Code. Teachers do have to monitor the dress code and we will ask student to change or call home if attire is not within those guidelines. Please see the policy here: http://www.wcpss.net/domain/50
- Students received information in Science class at the end of the 3rd quarter about ordering a FREE energy-efficient kit for your home from Duke Energy. Please ask your student for this flyer. All of the information about the program is on the flyer. The energy kit is free, no strings attached. We can also earn money for our school and you can have the chance to win $1,000. East Cary has earned $500 for having 258 families sign up so far. We are looking to reach the next milestone of getting 300 families signed up for more money for our school. The easiest way is to sign up at https://myenergykit.org/
- If your student will not be attending a WCPSS school next year, please e-mail our Data Manager, Shanthi Chundi (email@example.com) with the following information:
Student’s PowerSchool ID
Student’s Complete Name
Parent’s Complete Name
Where will the student attend for 2017-18
Once again, this is only if you already know that your student will NOT be attending a WCPSS next year.
- Lastly, we encourage both students and parents to review our teacher websites for lessons, homework, and resources. We update our websites daily and weekly.
Math 6/6+ (Mr. Hayes) – See schedule below.
-April 10 Unit review sheet completed in class
-April 11 Unit Test is scheduled for April 11th
– Math Project is due April 17th
-April 12 Unit 13: Collect, Analyze and Display Data (including measures of central tendency)
-Math Project is due April 17th
Science (Ms. Haynie) – Next week, we will be starting a PBL (Project-Based Learning) project on planet properties. This major grade should be concluded on Thursday, April 20th with their project proposal presentation.
In case anyone is interested, there is a “State of the Sciences 2017” at NC State’s Hunt Library on Saturday, April 22nd from 6pm-9pm. It is a free, family-friendly event. See more information: State of Sciences 2017
Social Studies (Mr. Miller) – On Monday, we will be registering for electives. Your child will receive the necessary paperwork for you to fill out with them. You will need to sign the blue and white sheets. Both of these sheets need to come back to school on Monday for social studies. Our first unit test is Tuesday, covering social structures the study guide is on my website. After this we will begin a unit on the decline of civilizations.
ELA (Mrs. Gilliland) – Our unit on argumentative texts is off to a great start. Next week, we will read a new argumentative text and focus on analyzing the author’s word choice. For homework, students should read at least 20 minutes each night.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback.
Have a great weekend!
Lauren Haynie (LHAYNIE@wcpss.net)
Chad Miller (CMILLER@wcpss.net)
Mike Hayes (MHAYES@wcpss.net)
Margaret Gilliland (MGILLILAND@wcpss.net)