Happy Friday, March 24th, 6-1 Families!
We hope everyone had a safe and restful March trackout. The teachers are excited to see all students back on campus on Monday, March 27th for the beginning of our last quarter together. Here are the updates for the 1st week back:
- Our last Snow Make-up Day is Saturday, April 1st from 7:00am-11:00am. This makes our track-in week 6 days long. Reminders about Saturday School:
- School starts at the regular time – 7:00am.
- School will dismiss at 11:00am.
- There will be no breakfast or lunch served. Students may bring a snack if they feel they need to.
- Buses will run their normal routes.
- Students will attend their 4 core classes and their 2nd
- Attendance is taken on Saturdays. If your student has to be absent, please make sure they check-in with their teachers for any make-up work.
- Students received information in Science class at the end of the 3rd quarter about ordering a FREE energy-efficient kit for your home from Duke Energy. Please ask your student for this flyer. All of the information about the program is on the flyer. The energy kit is free, no strings attached. We can also earn money for our school and you can have the chance to win $1,000. East Cary has earned $500 for having 200 families sign up so far. We are looking to reach the next milestone of getting 300 families signed up for more money for our school. The easiest way is to sign up at https://myenergykit.org/
- If your student will not be attending a WCPSS school next year, please e-mail our Data Manager, Shanthi Chundi (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following information:
Student’s PowerSchool ID
Student’s Complete Name
Parent’s Complete Name
Where will the student attend for 2017-18
Once again, this is only if you already know that your student will NOT be attending a WCPSS next year.
- Yearbooks: ECMS yearbooks can be ordered through the Josten’s Yearbook site: jostensyearbooks.com
- Team Donations: We are in need of college-ruled papers of loose leaf paper as well as #2 pencils. Any donations would be greatly appreciated to get us through the remainder of the year.
- Lastly, we encourage both students and parents to review our teacher websites for lessons, homework, and resources. We update our websites daily and weekly.
Math 6/6+ (Mr. Hayes) – Mathematician Project is due April 14th. Please make sure you’re your student has submitted their mathematician name as soon as possible.
March 27th: Unit 12 – Surface Area and Volume; Notes and formula sheet will be passed out in class and assignment Volume sheets #1 and #2 assigned.
March 28th: Create 3D objects from 2D planes, construct by tactile practice
March 29th: Volume of Rectangular Prism and Finding Missing Dimensions
March 30th: Volume with Fractional Edges and Composite Figures
March 31st: Volume with Fractional Edges and Composite Figures continued
April 1st: Unit 12 Quiz on Volume (notes can be used and recommended)
Additional resources can be accessed online using the attached directions.
Science (Ms. Haynie) – Students will begin the last unit of the year – Space Invaders. We will begin by exploring the Earth-Sun-Moon system by discussing what causes day and night, seasons, tides, phases of the moon and eclipses. Students will have a Check for Understanding (Quiz) on the Earth’s Movements on Thursday, March 30th.
Social Studies (Mr. Miller) – We will begin a short two week unit on social systems. Our assessment for this unit will be on Monday, April 10th. Homework for this week will be for your child to set a goal, just like we did in the 3rd quarter. Please discuss this with them.
ELA (Mrs. Gilliland) – We will begin Quarter 4 with a unit on argumentative texts. We will read and evaluate authors’ arguments, claims, and evidence. Students will then plan and write their own arguments. Next week, our focus will be on understanding the relationships between argument, claims, and evidence, as well as beginning a first read of an argumentative text.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback.
Have a great weekend!
Lauren Haynie (LHAYNIE@wcpss.net)
Chad Miller (CMILLER@wcpss.net)
Mike Hayes (MHAYES@wcpss.net)
Margaret Gilliland (MGILLILAND@wcpss.net)