Happy Friday, February 24th, 6-1 Families!
Here are the important announcements for the upcoming track out week:
- Monday, February 27th is our Marbles IMAX field trip. Please encourage your student to wear their ECMS spirit wear t-shirts/sweatshirts/etc. that day to school. Also, if you indicated that your student would bring their lunch from home, please make sure you send in disposable lunch bags and items that day. We do not have room for bulky lunch boxes. Please write your student’s name clearly on the outside of the lunch bag with permanent marker (if possible). Student should bring their necessary school materials for their CORE classes and electives that day as the field trip will only take ½ of the school day.
- Next Friday, March 3rd is our next Track Out day. It is NOT an Early Release Day. We will be on a regular schedule. 3rd Quarter report cards will be handed out during EE time in homerooms. Please ask your student for these when they come home next Friday.
- ECMS needs you! The ECMS staff will be holding their last professional development Early Release day on Friday, March 24th. We are looking for STEM-related professionals to help us with a networking event we are calling “March Madness”. Please see the two handouts and contact our Mrs. Shandua Ellis (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are able to help out or know of someone who would be willing to help out.
- Marbles has an opportunity for students who are strong in science to apply for their Marbles STEM Play Corps. Please see the flyer for more information about the program and the competitive application program. We’ve had a couple students in the past accepted to the program and they really loved it. These applications are due MARCH 1st!
- Students received information in Science class on last week about ordering a FREE energy-efficient kit for your home from Duke Energy. Please ask your student for this flyer. All of the information about the program is on the flyer. The energy kit is free, no strings attached. We can also earn money for our school and you can have the chance to win $1,000. The easiest way is to sign up at https://myenergykit.org/
- Team Donations: We are in need of college-ruled papers of loose leaf paper as well as #2 pencils. Any donations would be greatly appreciated to get us through the remainder of the year.
- As a team, we would like to remind students of the school and classroom expectations that have been in place since the beginning of July. They have been repeated on a variety of occasions and are found in the ECMS agendas as well as on the ECMS website. We are seeing an increase in the amount of class disruptions, non-compliance and disrespect. Teachers will contact parents/guardians immediately if your student is not following expectations.
- We’ve had a lot students with a variety of illnesses the past few weeks. Please monitor any symptoms and if you feel your child needs to stay at home to recover/get well, we strongly encourage that. We can always get the work made up when they return to school.
- Lastly, we encourage both students and parents to review our teacher websites for lessons, homework, and resources. We update our websites daily and weekly.
Math 6/6+ (Mr. Hayes) – Unit 11 will continue to focus on Area and Perimeter problems (with formulas) for polygons. Our next quiz will be Wednesday. March 1. Benchmark will be given for assessment purposes (not for grade) this coming week.
Science (Ms. Haynie) – Next week, we will finish up our unit on energy and waves. We will take our 3rd Quarter Benchmark on Friday, March 3rd with an in-class review on Thursday, March 2nd. We will also be cleaning out the Science section of our binders and putting all work into their Science Folders that remain in the classroom. These folders will be given back to students to take home a week prior to taking the NC Final Exam for Science in May.
Social Studies (Mr. Miller) – We will have our 3rd quarter benchmark covering politics on Tuesday. We will then be talking about a few more civilizations and how economics factored into their success or failure.
ELA (Mrs. Gilliland) – Next Wednesday, students will take the Quarter 3 common formative assessment. This will not be a graded assessment, but will provide helpful information about students’ progress. On Thursday, we will visit the media center for the final time this quarter. Students should bring any books they have checked out to return or renew before tracking out.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback.
Have a great weekend!
Lauren Haynie (LHAYNIE@wcpss.net)
Chad Miller (CMILLER@wcpss.net)
Mike Hayes (MHAYES@wcpss.net)
Margaret Gilliland (MGILLILAND@wcpss.net)