Happy Friday, February 10th, 6-1 Families!
Here are the important announcements for the upcoming week:
- The spring PBIS Dance will be on Friday, February 17th from 2:30-4:00pm in the ECMS gym. Students who have had ISS: In School Suspension (period, lunch, or day-long) or OSS: Out of School Suspension between December 1st and February 17th may not attend. Tickets will be on sale during lunch during the week of the dance. They will be $5 or 20 PBIS tickets.
- The Science Fair has been rescheduled to take place on Wednesday, February 15th in the Media Center. Students, friends, and family are welcome to come to the Media Center from 5:00-6:00pm to view the projects and project winners.
- Marbles has an opportunity for students who are strong in science to apply for their Marbles STEM Play Corps. Please see the flyer for more information about the program and the competitive application program. We’ve had a couple students in the past accepted to the program and they really loved it.
- Students received information in Science class on Thursday about ordering a FREE energy-efficient kit for your home from Duke Energy. Please ask your student for this flyer. All of the information about the program is on the flyer. The energy kit is free, no strings attached. We can also earn money for our school and you can have the chance to win $1,000. The easiest way is to sign up at https://myenergykit.org/
- Team Donations: We are in need of college-ruled papers of loose leaf paper as well as #2 pencils. Any donations would be greatly appreciated to get us through the remainder of the year.
- Due to a computer glitch, we mis-communicated one of our honor roll recipients during the January celebration. Please congratulate Paavan Thaker for receiving A Honor Roll for the 1st semester.
- As a team, we would like to remind students of the school and classroom expectations that have been in place since the beginning of July. They have been repeated on a variety of occasions and are found in the ECMS agendas as well as on the ECMS website. We are seeing an increase in the amount of class disruptions, non-compliance and disrespect. Teachers will contact parents/guardians immediately if your student is not following expectations.
- We’ve had a lot students with a variety of illnesses the past few weeks. Please monitor any symptoms and if you feel your child needs to stay at home to recover/get well, we strongly encourage that. We can always get the work made up when they return to school.
- Lastly, we encourage both students and parents to review our teacher websites for lessons, homework, and resources. We update our websites daily and weekly.
Math 6/6+ (Mr. Hayes) – Take Home Quiz (Calculator Active) assigned Feb.10 due back Feb. 14. Unit 10 Test scheduled for Feb. 15, it will cover the material that has been presented during this unit. Coordinate Plane, Reflection across the x and y axis, Distance of Points on Grid, Absolute Value and Constant of Proportionality problems. Formula(s) will be provided.
Science (Ms. Haynie) – Students have begun a new unit on energy and waves. There will be a quiz on Wave Properties on Friday, February 17th. Please see the information above for Wednesday’s Science Fair. We hope to see you during the evening viewing time.
Social Studies (Mr. Miller) – Your child should be studying for the Government and Politics final test on Tuesday, February 14th. We will begin our Economics unit this week after we wrap up our Politics Unit on Wednesday.
ELA (Mrs. Gilliland) – Next week, we will wrap up our reading of Seedfolks. On Friday, 2/17, there will be a test on our study of the novel; this will be a major grade. Study guides will be created during class on Wednesday.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback.
Have a great weekend!
Lauren Haynie (LHAYNIE@wcpss.net)
Chad Miller (CMILLER@wcpss.net)
Mike Hayes (MHAYES@wcpss.net)
Margaret Gilliland (MGILLILAND@wcpss.net)