Happy Friday, January 27th, 6-1 Families!
Here are the important announcements for the upcoming week:
- The 2nd Semester Field Trip information was given to students in Science class last week. We will be going to Marbles Museum in downtown Raleigh to view an IMAX movie and to complete a corresponding Learning Lab about space. Please see the attached PDF version of what the students received today in class. Parents/Guardians interested in chaperoning should e-mail Ms. Haynie (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Monday, January 30th. Field trip forms and payment are due by Friday, February 3rd.
- Students should have brought home Spring Picture information last week. Spring pictures will be taken on Monday, February 6th. Students should wait until that Monday to bring their money in. The money will be handed directly to the photographer on that day. Only students who bring in money will be allowed to sit for a picture.
- 3rd Quarter interims will be handed out on Friday, February 3rd. Each student will receive an interim that contains all of their grades for their schedule.
- Our next STEM elective day is Friday, February 3rd. Please encourage your student to bring the necessary items they may need for their particular STEM elective.
- The spring PBIS Dance will be on Friday, February 17th from 2:30-4:00pm in the ECMS gym. Students who have had ISS: In School Suspension (period, lunch, or day-long) or OSS: Out of School Suspension between October 31st and February 17th may not attend. Tickets will be on sale during lunch during the week of the dance. They will be $5 or 20 PBIS tickets.
- The Science Fair has been rescheduled to take place on Wednesday, February 15th in the Media Center. Students, friends, and family are welcome to come to the Media Center from 5:00-6:00pm to view the projects and project winners.
- Lastly, we encourage both students and parents to review our teacher websites for lessons, homework, and resources. We update our websites daily and weekly.
Math 6/6+ (Mr. Hayes) – Next week we will be introduced to Percent of Change and Percent Error. Unit Review will begin on Tuesday and Unit 9 Test is scheduled for Thursday, February 2nd. Please continue to follow my website and use Canvas for additional info.
Science (Ms. Haynie) – Next week, students will continue to learn about how heat affects the different states of matter, as well as, learning to observe the different physical properties of matter – more specifically density and solubility. The Unit Test for Matter (major grade) has been moved to Wednesday, February 8th. There will be another Science Binder Check on Friday, February 10th (classwork grade).
Social Studies (Mr. Miller) – We will have a brief quiz on Friday on citizenship of ancient civilizations. We will make a study guide the day before so students know exactly what to study, although their notes from the week will be most helpful.
ELA (Mrs. Gilliland) – As we continue reading Seedfolks next week, we will analyze the relationships between text structure, themes, setting, and plot. On Friday, February 3, students will take a mid-quarter formative assessment. This assessment will measure students’ progress toward this quarter’s learning objectives, but it will not be graded. An article of the week will go home on Monday; it will be due on Friday with annotations.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback.
Have a great weekend!
Lauren Haynie (LHAYNIE@wcpss.net)
Chad Miller (CMILLER@wcpss.net)
Mike Hayes (MHAYES@wcpss.net)
Margaret Gilliland (MGILLILAND@wcpss.net)