Happy Friday, January 20th, 6-1 Families!
Here are the important announcements for the upcoming week:
- The 2nd Semester Field Trip information was given to students in Science class last week. We will be going to Marbles Museum in downtown Raleigh to view an IMAX movie and to complete a corresponding Learning Lab about space. Please see the attached PDF version of what the students received today in class. Parents/Guardians interested in chaperoning should e-mail Ms. Haynie (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, January 27th. Field trip forms and payment are due by Friday, February 3rd.
- Thank you to those friends and families who were able to attend the Mid-Year Celebration ceremony this morning to see your student receive their awards. We hope that we can pass out many more awards at our final ceremony in June.
- We are finding quite a few students without pencils and/or paper since we tracked back in. These items are necessary for daily success for the remainder of the school year. Thank you for taking the time to check in and see if your student has enough supplies.
- The Science Fair has been rescheduled to take place on Wednesday, February 15th in the Media Center. Students, friends, and family are welcome to come to the Media Center from 5:00-6:00pm to view the projects and project winners.
- We will have Saturday school make-up dates on the following days:
- Saturday, January 21st, 2017
- Saturday, April 1st, 2017
- Important information for Saturday School:
- School starts at the regular time – 7:00am.
- School will dismiss at 11:00am.
- There will be no breakfast or lunch served. Students may bring a snack if they feel they need to.
- Buses will run their normal routes.
- Students will attend their 4 core classes and their 2nd elective.
- Attendance is taken on Saturdays. If your student has to be absent, please make sure they check-in with their teachers for any make-up work.
- Lastly, we encourage both students and parents to review our teacher websites for lessons, homework, and resources. We update our websites daily and weekly.
Math 6/6+ (Mr. Hayes) – Unit 9 Percent, Percent Application and Measurement Conversion
We have completed the Measurement Conversion section of this unit and quizzes have been returned. Our next sections will focus on percent, decimal and fractions. Percent Problems and Proportions will also be explored with equations.
Tax, Tip, Discounts, Commissions, Markups, and Simple interest formula will also be introduced. There will be a Quiz on Wednesday, Jan. 25th. Finally we will be introduced to Percent of Change and Percent Error practice. Test will follow.
Science (Ms. Haynie) – Students will continue learning about elements, molecules, compounds, and the states of matter next week. There will be a Unit Test on Matter on Friday, February 3rd. Students also received their Science Fair grades back this week. They are allowed to resubmit any part of their project to me to raise their grade. I only ask that they staple their graded rubric to their resubmitted work so that I may grade appropriately. Students have until Wednesday, January 25th to turn those corrections in.
Social Studies (Mr. Miller) – Students will have a quiz on the types of government on Wednesday, January 25th. They should study for this with the notes I have given them in class. We will be looking at specific governments this week, and talking about the similarities and differences between them.
ELA (Mrs. Gilliland) – As we continue reading Seedfolks next week, we will focus on determining central ideas from details in the text, as well as writing objective summaries. An article of the week will go home on Monday; it will be due with thinking tracks on Friday.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback.
Have a great weekend!
Lauren Haynie (LHAYNIE@wcpss.net)
Chad Miller (CMILLER@wcpss.net)
Mike Hayes (MHAYES@wcpss.net)
Margaret Gilliland (MGILLILAND@wcpss.net)