Happy Friday, January 13th, 6-1 Families!
Wow! What an interesting week! We have a lot of updates so please read through all of the information very carefully.
- The 2nd Semester Field Trip information was given to students in Science class today. We will be going to Marbles Museum in downtown Raleigh to view an IMAX movie and to complete a corresponding Learning Lab about space. Please see the attached PDF version of what the students received today in class. Parents/Guardians interested in chaperoning should e-mail Ms. Haynie (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, January 20th.
- We will be celebrating 1st Semester accomplishments with a brief ceremony on Friday, January 20th at 8:00am in the ECMS Auditorium. Light breakfast refreshments will follow. Students who will be receiving an award received a BLUE invitation in class today. Please return the bottom half of the blue sheets to Ms. Haynie as soon as possible. Any food donations should be sent in by Thursday afternoon, January 19th.
- The Science Fair has been rescheduled to take place on Wednesday, February 15th in the Media Center. Students, friends, and family are welcome to come to the Media Center from 5:00-6:00pm to view the projects and project winners.
- We will have Saturday school make-up dates on the following days: Saturday, January 14th, 2017; Saturday, January 21st, 2017; Saturday, April 1st, 2017
- Important information for Saturday School:
- School starts at the regular time – 7:00am.
- School will dismiss at 11:00am.
- There will be no breakfast or lunch served. Students may bring a snack if they feel they need to.
- Buses will run their normal routes.
- Students will attend their 4 core classes and their 1st
- Attendance is taken on Saturdays. If your student has to be absent, please make sure they check-in with their teachers for any make-up work.
- Monday, January 16th is a Holiday for the school system as we observe Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
- Friday, January 20th is an Early Release day. School will dismiss at 11:45am. Students will attend their 4 core classes and lunch.
- We could still use some donations of tissues as we move into this winter season. Our supply is getting low. Your student can give the donations to their homeroom teacher.
- Lastly, we encourage both students and parents to review our teacher websites for lessons, homework, and resources. We update our websites daily and weekly.
Math 6/6+ (Mr. Hayes) – Unit 9 Percent and Percent Application and Measurement Conversion. Please go on Website to sign up to accessing Video/Practice Material. Quiz on Measurement Conversion will be on Wednesday, Jan. 18th.
Science (Ms. Haynie) – Students continued their learning about matter and atoms this week. Next week, students will be learning about molecules, elements, and the periodic table. A binder check for their Science section will take place on Friday, January 20th. This will be a classwork grade. Students should have their Table of Contents up-to-date, as well as, having their papers numbered and in the correct order corresponding to the Table of Contents. Please see Ms. Haynie’s website ( mshayniescience.weebly.com ) a copy of the Table of Contents and the daily assignments. Science grades will be updated in PowerSchools by Tuesday, January 17th. Please check for missing work especially Science Fair projects.
Social Studies (Mr. Miller) – Last week about 45% of my students did not turn in their homework. It was a fairly simple goal sheet that was supposed to be signed by a parent or guardian. Please login to Powerschool to see if your child is missing this. If you need an additional copy, check mrmiller.info. This week we will begin our unit on politics in ancient history. We cover all the different types of government, this would be a great time to have conversations around what role government plays in all of our lives.
ELA (Mrs. Gilliland) – Next week, we will continue reading “Seedfolks.” Our focus will be on citing text evidence to support inferences drawn from the novel. For homework, students should continue to read for 25 minutes each night.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback.
Have a great weekend!
Lauren Haynie (LHAYNIE@wcpss.net)
Chad Miller (CMILLER@wcpss.net)
Mike Hayes (MHAYES@wcpss.net)
Margaret Gilliland (MGILLILAND@wcpss.net)