Happy Friday, July 15th, 6-1 Families!
We have survived the first week of school! Yay! It was a really great week for the teachers and we also believe the students. We felt like this has been the smoothest first week transition in a few years so kudos to all the students and their families!
If you haven’t already, please mark your calendars for Tuesday, July 26th for “Meet the Teacher” Night. This is a chance to walk your student’s schedule and learn a little bit about their day including expectations and important information about each class. This event starts at 5:45pm and ends at 7:45pm. Please keep in mind that this evening is just for general information and it is fast-moving so we will not have the opportunity to talk about individual students. Please contact us via e-mail if you need to speak with us as a team separately.
Please sign up for the Remind Texts/E-mails for the 6-1 Family. You will receive daily texts at 2:15pm Monday through Friday from us to remind you about upcoming ECMS events and other important reminders specific to the 6-1 team. Click on the link for directions: RemindInvite.20162017
Students also received a hard copy of the WCPSS Parent/Student Handbook today. We highlighted a few policies with students during our Homeroom time. Please sign the back of the handbook and send in the last page with your student on Monday. These will be kept in your student’s file.
Frequently Asked Questions
- When will we get access to PowerSchools?
- Parents who have already delivered their ParentPortal form and shown their Photo ID, will receive their usernames and passwords during the 3rd week of school. We have to wait until after the 10-day head count before those requests can be processed.
- What if my child is absent?
- Please send a note to your student’s homeroom teacher. This may either be via e-mail or a hand-written note. Please check each teacher’s website to see what the student missed. Students are responsible for the work that they miss. They have 2 days for each day missed upon return to school to get work made up.
- What if my child needs to change their transportation plans?
- If your student is planning on going a different way home than usual, please send a quick note to your student’s homeroom teacher either via e-mail or hand-written. This will be useful in case of an emergency.
- What if I have questions or concerns I need to address with teachers?
- Please contact your student’s homeroom teacher if you would like a conference with all the CORE teachers. Please only request conferences if you there is an issue.
Math 6/6+ (Mr. Hayes) – Students began the first unit of math this week – Order of Operations and Exponents. The unit will conclude with a Unit Test on Friday, July 22nd. A Test Study Guide will be given out on Wednesday, July 20th.
Science (Ms. Haynie) – This week in Science, we talked about how to organize our CORE binder, having a growth mindset, also the difference between observations and inferences, and the two types of observations – qualitative and quantitative. Next week, we will explore learning how to identify variables (independent, dependent, and constants) and about the scientific problem-solving process – the Scientific Method.
The 1st Science Quiz is on Wednesday, July 27th on everything learning since the 1st day.
All resources and documents for each day can be found on Ms. Haynie’s Teacher Website: http://mshayniescience.weebly.com Click on the “Daily Lessons/HW” tab and then the “Quarter 1” tab and it will take to our daily agendas and resources.
Social Studies (Mr. Miller) – We have been learning about the five themes of geography and all about the different types of maps available. We will have our first quiz on Friday, July 22nd covering that information.
ELA (Mrs. Gilliland) – We had an excellent first week in ELA! Next week, we will continue to establish classroom expectations and procedures. We will also set literacy goals and learn about some strategies we’ll use as readers and writers this year. Next week’s homework expectation is to read for 20 minutes each night.
**Please note this is the ONLY week we will send home a hard/paper copy of the 6-1 Weekly Update. In order to receive the weekly updates in the future, you will need to subscribe to our blog on the 6-1 Website: https://6thgradeecms.wordpress.com/
As always, please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback.
Have a great weekend!
Lauren Haynie (LHAYNIE@wcpss.net)
Chad Miller (CMILLER@wcpss.net)
Mike Hayes (MHAYES@wcpss.net)
Margaret Gilliland (MGILLILAND@wcpss.net)