Happy Thursday, May 12th, 6-1 Families!
These weeks are flying by! Please keep an eye on PowerSchools as we near the end of the year. We are updating grades and assignments daily at this point. Missing work needs to be taken care of ASAP. All missing 4th quarter work is due by Friday, May 27th.
- EOG/Final Benchmark Testing Schedule:
- Monday, May 23rd – Reading EOG
- Tuesday, May 24th – Math EOG
- Wednesday, May 25th – Final Social Studies Benchmark
- Friday, May 27th – Final Science Benchmark
- 2016-2017 School Year: Final school assignment slips will be sent home with your student on Monday, May 2nd. If you already know your student is NOT going to attend ECMS next year, you need to contact our Data Manager, Ms. Shanthi Chundi (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible to give her those details. That information is needed for our allotment for next year which determines the number of teachers/staff we will be able to have. Thank you for taking care of this soon.
- Overdue Library Books: Students received pink overdue notices from our Media Center this morning. Please encourage students to locate those books and either renew or return as we approach the end of the year. This is especially important if your student is not attending ECMS next year.
- EOG Testing: We have EOG’s approaching, as well as, all the end of the year events. EOG’s for Track 1 will begin on Monday, May 23rd. 6th graders will take EOG’s in Math and Reading. Social Studies and Science will have final exams separate from EOG’s in order to gauge mastery of the 6th grade curriculum. More information on testing to come later.
It takes a lot of man power to get testing done for all tracks. If you have the time to volunteer during either May or June to help with testing, please following the directions below:
East Cary Middle School is using VolunteerSpot to organize our upcoming needs for EOG Proctors. Track 1 will be testing May 23 – 31 and Track 2, 3, and 4 will be testing June 20 – 27. We are in need of lots of Proctors to make the testing run smoothly. To sign-up and see open spots go to http://vols.pt/kbGamo.
Proctors must be registered and cleared with WCPSS to volunteer in the classroom. Please come in to ECMS (or another WCPSS school) and register to be a volunteer online ASAP, if you have not already done so this school year!
SIGN UP TODAY to proctor at http://vols.pt/kbGamo! If you have any questions, please contact Julie Stern (testing coordinator) at email@example.com or 919-466-4377.
5. ECMS Relay for Life Team: ECMS is participating in the Cary/Apex/Morrisville Relay for Life on May 21st to support the American Cancer Society. We would like to have as many students and families be a part of the event as possible and we are also trying to reach a fundraising goal of $1,000. If you would like to donate, find more information, or if you would like to join our team and actually walk in the Relay, please follow the link http://main.acsevents.org/goto/ECMSrelay. If you have any additional questions, please email the ECMS team captain, Ms. Schneider at firstname.lastname@example.org. Ms. Haynie is also participating so we are looking for some 6-1 support.
- Dress Code: As the weather warms up, please take time to review the WCPSS dress code in regards to shorts, skirts, dresses, and tank tops. Dress code applies for all genders. The biggest infraction is the length of shorts/skirts/dresses. Those pieces of clothing must be as long as the longest finger on your student’s hand with their arms relaxed by their sides. We will ask your student to either change into their longer gym shorts or call home to get appropriate length clothing. The WCPSS Board Policy on Dress Code can be found here: WCPSS Dress Code
- Celebrations: 3rd Quarter Honor Roll certificates were given to students in homeroom this week. Per ECMS policy, we only hold Honor Roll celebrations at the end of each semester. Please mark your calendars now for our End of the Year Celebration Ceremony on Friday, June 3rd beginning at 12:45pm in the ECMS Auditorium. We will send more information home towards end the end of May and also let you know if your student will be receiving an award.
Math 6/6+ (Mr. Hayes) – Students will continue reviewing content from the year to prepare for the EOGs. During the week of May 16th, students will be taking a practice EOG test.
Science (Ms.Haynie) – Students will continue our short unit on Space. We will spend 1 more week discussing the Sun-Moon-Earth system which includes: rotation vs. revolution, the moon and its phases, as well as, tides and eclipses. A unit test will be given on Friday, May 20th on devices.
We will pause EOG/Benchmark week (May 23-27) to review and prepare for our Final Science Benchmark on Friday, May 27th. These grades will NOT factor into the student’s overall 4th quarter grade. This data is only used to see what content students mastered this year and to help 6th grade teachers plan for how to make it better for our next group of 6th graders.
We will spend our last week of the year together discovering how Space Exploration has evolved and changed over time.
Social Studies (Mr. Miller) – Our last major assessment is on Friday, May 20th covering Ancient Japan. Our 4th quarter benchmark will be on May 25th, it will cover the 4th quarter topics only. After the benchmark we will be teaming up with ELA and doing a project on Global Issues. This will not be for a grade, but will be required to do.
ELA (Mrs. Gilliland)– Next week will conclude our review of comprehension and test-taking strategies. We will also visit the media center to choose just-right books to read after EOG completion and discuss the importance of doing our best without test stress. Next week’s homework will be an article with questions; it will be due on Friday, 5/20 and available on my website.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback.
Lauren Haynie (E-mail: LHAYNIE@wcpss.net Twitter: @MsHaynie_ECMS)
Chad Miller (E-mail: CMILLER@wcpss.net Twitter: @ECMSMiller)
Mike Hayes (MHAYES@wcpss.net)
Margaret Gilliland (E-mail: MGILLILAND@wcpss.net Twitter: @MrsG_ECMS)