Happy Friday, May 6th, 6-1 Families!
Interim reports for each student were given out on Monday, May 2nd. These were to be signed and returned by Wed. May 4th. If you did not see a copy of your student’s current grades, please check in with them about their interims. Missing work needs to be taken care of ASAP. All missing 4th quarter work is due by Friday, May 27th.
- EOG/Final Benchmark Testing Schedule:
- Monday, May 23rd – Reading EOG
- Tuesday, May 24th – Math EOG
- Wednesday, May 25th – Final Social Studies Benchmark
- Friday, May 27th – Final Science Benchmark
- 2016-2017 School Year: Final school assignment slips will be sent home with your student on Monday, May 2nd. If you already know your student is NOT going to attend ECMS next year, you need to contact our Data Manager, Ms. Shanthi Chundi (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible to give her those details. That information is needed for our allotment for next year which determines the number of teachers/staff we will be able to have. Thank you for taking care of this soon.
- Overdue Library Books: Students received pink overdue notices from our Media Center this morning. Please encourage students to locate those books and either renew or return as we approach the end of the year. This is especially important if your student is not attending ECMS next year.
- EOG Testing: We have EOG’s approaching, as well as, all the end of the year events. EOG’s for Track 1 will begin on Monday, May 23rd. 6th graders will take EOG’s in Math and Reading. Social Studies and Science will have final exams separate from EOG’s in order to gauge mastery of the 6th grade curriculum. More information on testing to come later.
It takes a lot of man power to get testing done for all tracks. If you have the time to volunteer during either May or June to help with testing, please following the directions below:
East Cary Middle School is using VolunteerSpot to organize our upcoming needs for EOG Proctors. Track 1 will be testing May 23 – 31 and Track 2, 3, and 4 will be testing June 20 – 27. We are in need of lots of Proctors to make the testing run smoothly. To sign-up and see open spots go to http://vols.pt/kbGamo.
Proctors must be registered and cleared with WCPSS to volunteer in the classroom. Please come in to ECMS (or another WCPSS school) and register to be a volunteer online ASAP, if you have not already done so this school year!
SIGN UP TODAY to proctor at http://vols.pt/kbGamo! If you have any questions, please contact Julie Stern (testing coordinator) at email@example.com or 919-466-4377.
- ECMS Relay for Life Team: ECMS is participating in the Cary/Apex/Morrisville Relay for Life on May 21st to support the American Cancer Society. We would like to have as many students and families be a part of the event as possible and we are also trying to reach a fundraising goal of $1,000. If you would like to donate, find more information, or if you would like to join our team and actually walk in the Relay, please follow the link http://main.acsevents.org/goto/ECMSrelay. If you have any additional questions, please email the ECMS team captain, Ms. Schneider at firstname.lastname@example.org. Ms. Haynie is also participating so we are looking for some 6-1 support J
- Dress Code: As the weather warms up, please take time to review the WCPSS dress code in regards to shorts, skirts, dresses, and tank tops. Dress code applies for all genders. The biggest infraction is the length of shorts/skirts/dresses. Those pieces of clothing must be as long as the longest finger on your student’s hand with their arms relaxed by their sides. We will ask your student to either change into their longer gym shorts or call home to get appropriate length clothing. The WCPSS Board Policy on Dress Code can be found here: WCPSS Dress Code
- Celebrations: 3rd Quarter Honor Roll certificates were given to students in homeroom this week. Per ECMS policy, we only hold Honor Roll celebrations at the end of each semester. Please mark your calendars now for our End of the Year Celebration Ceremony on Friday, June 3rd beginning at 12:45pm in the ECMS Auditorium. We will send more information home towards end the end of May and also let you know if your student will be receiving an award.
Math 6/6+ (Mr. Hayes) – Students will continue reviewing content from the year to prepare for the EOGs. During the week of May 16th, students will be taking a practice EOG test.
Science (Ms.Haynie) – Ms. Haynie will be back to teaching these last 4 weeks of the school year. We appreciate all that Mr. Yang did for us since January and wish him luck on finding his first teaching position in the Boone area.
Next week, students will begin our short unit on Space. We will be spending 2 weeks discussing the Sun-Moon-Earth system which includes: rotation vs. revolution, the moon and its phases, as well as, tides and eclipses. A unit test will be given on Friday, May 20th on devices.
We will pause EOG/Benchmark week (May 23-27) to review and prepare for our Final Science Benchmark on Friday, May 27th. These grades will NOT factor into the student’s overall 4th quarter grade. This data is only used to see what content students mastered this year and to help 6th grade teachers plan for how to make it better for our next group of 6th graders.
We will spend our last week of the year together discovering how Space Exploration has evolved and changed over time.
Social Studies (Mr. Miller) – We finished up our unit on Ancient China, we will begin working in Ancient Japan next. There will be a major assessment on Ancient Japan on Friday, May 20th, which will be our last major grade.
ELA (Mrs. Gilliland)– For the next two weeks, we will focus on preparing for the Reading EOG. We will work on building our reading stamina, using good test-taking strategies, and applying our “real-reading” comprehension strategies to test selections. Buzz Letters for Cores 2 and 4 will be due on Thursday, May 12; these are intermediate grades and resources are available on my website.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback.
Lauren Haynie (E-mail: LHAYNIE@wcpss.net Twitter: @MsHaynie_ECMS)
Chad Miller (E-mail: CMILLER@wcpss.net Twitter: @ECMSMiller)
Mike Hayes (MHAYES@wcpss.net)
Margaret Gilliland (E-mail: MGILLILAND@wcpss.net Twitter: @MrsG_ECMS)