Happy Friday, April 29th, 6-1 Families!
Due to technical difficulties with PowerSchools this week, we were unable to print out interims to be distributed today. We will have them ready by Monday. These reports contain the grades for the student’s entire schedule instead (electives included). They will need to be signed and returned to homeroom teachers by Wednesday, May 4th. Missing work needs to be taken care of ASAP. All missing 4th quarter work is due by Friday, May 27th.
- 2016-2017 School Year: Final school assignment slips will be sent home with your student on Monday, May 2nd. If you already know your student is NOT going to attend ECMS next year, you need to contact our Data Manager, Ms. Shanthi Chundi (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible to give her those details. That information is needed for our allotment for next year which determines the number of teachers/staff we will be able to have. Thank you for taking care of this soon.
- Overdue Library Books: Students received pink overdue notices from our Media Center this morning. Please encourage students to locate those books and either renew or return as we approach the end of the year. This is especially important if your student is not attending ECMS next year.
- EOG Testing: We have EOG’s approaching, as well as, all the end of the year events. EOG’s for Track 1 will begin on Monday, May 23rd. 6th graders will take EOG’s in Math and Reading. Social Studies and Science will have final exams separate from EOG’s in order to gauge mastery of the 6th grade curriculum. More information on testing to come later.
It takes a lot of man power to get testing done for all tracks. If you have the time to volunteer during either May or June to help with testing, please following the directions below:
East Cary Middle School is using VolunteerSpot to organize our upcoming needs for EOG Proctors. Track 1 will be testing May 23 – 31 and Track 2, 3, and 4 will be testing June 20 – 27. We are in need of lots of Proctors to make the testing run smoothly. To sign-up and see open spots go to http://vols.pt/kbGamo.
Proctors must be registered and cleared with WCPSS to volunteer in the classroom. Please come in to ECMS (or another WCPSS school) and register to be a volunteer online ASAP, if you have not already done so this school year!
SIGN UP TODAY to proctor at http://vols.pt/kbGamo! If you have any questions, please contact Julie Stern (testing coordinator) at email@example.com or 919-466-4377.
- ECMS Relay for Life Team: ECMS is participating in the Cary/Apex/Morrisville Relay for Life on May 21st to support the American Cancer Society. We would like to have as many students and families be a part of the event as possible and we are also trying to reach a fundraising goal of $1,000. If you would like to donate, find more information, or if you would like to join our team and actually walk in the Relay, please follow the link http://main.acsevents.org/goto/ECMSrelay. If you have any additional questions, please email the ECMS team captain, Ms. Schneider at firstname.lastname@example.org. Ms. Haynie is also participating so we are looking for some 6-1 support!
- Dress Code: As the weather warms up, please take time to review the WCPSS dress code in regards to shorts, skirts, dresses, and tank tops. Dress code applies for all genders. The biggest infraction is the length of shorts/skirts/dresses. Those pieces of clothing must be as long as the longest finger on your student’s hand with their arms relaxed by their sides. We will ask your student to either change into their longer gym shorts or call home to get appropriate length clothing. The WCPSS Board Policy on Dress Code can be found here: WCPSS Dress Code
- Celebrations: 3rd Quarter Honor Roll certificates were given to students in homeroom this week. Per ECMS policy, we only hold Honor Roll celebrations at the end of each semester. Please mark your calendars now for our End of the Year Celebration Ceremony on Friday, June 3rd beginning at 12:45pm in the ECMS Auditorium. We will send more information home towards end the end of May and also let you know if your student will be receiving an award.
Math 6/6+ (Mr. Hayes) – Students will be continuing their EOG review next week.
Science (Mr. Yang/Ms.Haynie) – Students will finish up their learning about heat and light energy properties. We will also have a guest presenter on Wed. May 4th. Sarah Dinger, from Project PLANTS at NC State will be visiting our class to promote the opportunity with hands-on activities about dirt and plants.
Social Studies (Mr. Miller) – Students will be turning in projects or taking the Ancient China Test on Thursday, May 5th. We will be moving onto Ancient Japan for the following three weeks before testing.
ELA (Mrs. Gilliland)– Next week, we will begin to review concepts and skills we have learned this year. We will also establish and practice good test-taking strategies. Buzz letters for Cores 1 and 3 are due on Thursday, 5/5; these are intermediate grades.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback.
Lauren Haynie (E-mail: LHAYNIE@wcpss.net Twitter: @MsHaynie_ECMS) & Yang Xia (Student Teacher)
Chad Miller (E-mail: CMILLER@wcpss.net Twitter: @ECMSMiller)
Mike Hayes (MHAYES@wcpss.net)
Margaret Gilliland (E-mail: MGILLILAND@wcpss.net Twitter: @MrsG_ECMS)