Happy Friday, April 8th, 6-1 Families!
We’ve had another great week on 6-1. I think we all are excited to have a two-day weekend after being in school for 11 of the last 12 days. Enjoy it!
- PowerSchools: Please continue monitoring 4th Quarter Grades. Teachers are beginning to enter grades for this quarter and we are hoping with your support, we have less missing work as we prepare your students for 7th All assignments/missing work will be due by Friday, May 27th.
- EOG Testing: We have EOG’s approaching, as well as, all the end of the year events. EOG’s for Track 1 will begin on Monday, May 23rd. 6th graders will take EOG’s in Math and Reading. Social Studies and Science will have final exams separate from EOG’s in order to gauge mastery of the 6th grade curriculum. More information on testing to come later.
It takes a lot of man power to get testing done for all tracks. If you have the time to volunteer during either May or June to help with testing, please following the directions below:
East Cary Middle School is using VolunteerSpot to organize our upcoming needs for EOG Proctors. Track 1 will be testing May 23 – 31 and Track 2, 3, and 4 will be testing June 20 – 27. We are in need of lots of Proctors to make the testing run smoothly. To sign-up and see open spots go to http://vols.pt/kbGamo.
Proct0rs must be registered and cleared with WCPSS to volunteer in the classroom. Please come in to ECMS (or another WCPSS school) and register to be a volunteer online ASAP, if you have not already done so this school year!
SIGN UP TODAY to proctor at http://vols.pt/kbGamo! If you have any questions, please contact Julie Stern (testing coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-466-4377.
- ECMS Relay for Life Team: ECMS is participating in the Cary/Apex/Morrisville Relay for Life on May 21st to support the American Cancer Society. We would like to have as many students and families be a part of the event as possible and we are also trying to reach a fundraising goal of $1,000. If you would like to donate, find more information, or if you would like to join our team and actually walk in the Relay, please follow the link http://main.acsevents.org/goto/ECMSrelay. If you have any additional questions, please email the ECMS team captain, Ms. Schneider at email@example.com. Ms. Haynie will also be helping so you are welcome to e-mail her as well.
- Dress Code: As the weather warms up, please take time to review the WCPSS dress code in regards to shorts, skirts, dresses, and tank tops. Dress code applies for all genders. The WCPSS Board Policy on Dress Code can be found here: WCPSS Dress Code
- Celebrations: 3rd Quarter Honor Roll certificates were given to students in homeroom this week. Per ECMS policy, we only hold Honor Roll celebrations at the end of each semester. Please mark your calendars now for our End of the Year Celebration Ceremony on Friday, June 3rd beginning at 12:45pm in the ECMS Auditorium. We will send more information home towards end the end of May and also let you know if your student will be receiving an award.
Math 6/6+ (Mr. Hayes) – Students will start Unit 13 on Mean, Median and Mode. Unit 13 will focus on:
Please see the attached document from our Instructional Resource Teacher, Mrs. Stern, about how parents can assist students with Math at home.
Science (Mr. Yang/Ms.Haynie) – Students started the next unit on Tuesday which covers Waves and Energy. Students learned about the anatomy of a wave and different wave properties this week. Next week, students will continuing learning about waves through sound.
Please check out the attached flyer for an opportunity for rising 7th graders at ECMS to participate in Project Plants 2016 through NC State University.
Social Studies (Mr. Miller) – We are currently in the middle of our Ancient South Asia Unit. We have a project due on Thursday, all details with a rubric are outlined on my website. Mr. Peltier, a student teacher, is with us for a few weeks finishing up his student teaching experience with our classes.
ELA (Mrs. Gilliland)– Next week, we will focus on critical literacy and comparing and contrasting different authors’ perspectives in informational texts. Buzz Letters for Cores 2 and 4 are due on Friday, 4/15. These are intermediate grades and related resources can be found on my website. We will visit the media center for circulation on Thursday, 4/14. Please also note that I have a new email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback.
Lauren Haynie (E-mail: LHAYNIE@wcpss.net Twitter: @MsHaynie_ECMS) & Yang Xia (Student Teacher)
Chad Miller (E-mail: CMILLER@wcpss.net Twitter: @ECMSMiller)
Mike Hayes (MHAYES@wcpss.net)
Margaret Gilliland (E-mail: MGILLILAND@wcpss.net Twitter: @MrsG_ECMS)